Sunday, November 15, 2009

Is it off season or am I actually domesticating?




Yesterday I spent the whole day "nesting." It's the strangest thing to made. I'm not a nester. I'm NOT a house wife.

But Saturday, Josh and I woke up to SNOW! It was cold and overcast and snowing- but there was not enough yet to play in so the thought of being outside was less than appealing. We had a semi-productive morning: went to the ski swap and purchased $10 snow shoes! Then went to Nora's and had a delicious breakfast with Jeff. I took Josh to work and went to the Jackson Whole Grocer.

The Grocer is one of my favorite places to be. Which is funny, because I work there. I love the coffee, the soup and salad bar, the bakery section, the deli! But most of all, I just love the atmosphere. So I roll into the store, grab a basket and head for the Tonic Bar. I grab a cup of coffee and conclude that my day is going to be domestic! I ask Al, my favorite chef, what I should cook. I explain to him that I want to cook A LOT of something... THIS is preparing for the winter.

I leave the grocery store with $45 worth of groceries(before the employee discount), an Al original recipe for Chicken Pot Pie and my mom's recipe for "Husband's Delight" *which I changed to "Boyfriend's Delight... I'm not ready to go there yet!

Back at the homestead I unloaded groceries and started a fire. I started with the veggies for the Chicken Pot Pie, added some delicious chicken flavor better than bullion stuff to boiling water- thus creating the best chicken stock EVER.... added some roux (which I am proud to say I now know how to make!) added some pulled chicken and some thyme. Boiled. Simmered. Let sit. In the midst of this, I took all my veggie scraps from the c.p.p. and boiled them in water, resulting in vegetable stock for later. I also browned meat, boiled egg noodles, mixed cream cheese, sour cream and green onions together. layered with cheese in four single serving baking tins and the rest in one large tin. baked. While the casserole was cooking I separated the c.p.p. into six single-serving baking tins and wrapped to freeze. I put the rest of the pie filling into a pre-made pie shell.




First of all, it was all delicious! And now we have TEN in the freezer, for times when we are poor/snowed in/just plain lazy. And, the ENTIRE thing only cost $45... and that wasn't even buying thrifty! I went all out on some nice ingredients, as well as god staples like milk, 1/2 & 1/2 and PBR...

While food was in the oven, and before Josh got home from work I did all the dishes, four loads of laundry, vacuumed, showered and even shaved my legs!

I randomly have stints of domesticity... but there seems to be more of them and they are occurring more often. It's alarming. I think it may just be the off season... there's not a whole lot else to do. Maybe it's the condo... it's really nice, don't wanna mess it up. I fear, though, it may be the last option: I'm just getting old! I must, however, make sure that I maintain more hours outside than I do in my kitchen- we will be juuuust fine.




No comments: